silver lining

every cloud has a silver lining.

Sunday, August 28, 2005

Whittington

Can I write something about CATS again?

My second favorite song in CATS is "Jullicle Songs for Jullicle Cats". Just now I checked the meaning of the lyrics, and found "Whittington", the name of somebody.
Who is Whittington?

Dick Whittington was a real person, and also a person in the legend "Dick Whittington and his Cat". I don't know how the real Dick was, but the old tale goes like this;

When Dick was a child, he was very poor, and decided to go to London. Luckily he had his room at someone's house and had his own cat. But the real life in London was very severe, so he tried to go back his hometown. Then he heard the bell ringing like,

'Turn again, Whittington, thrice lord mayor of London.'

So he returned to London, and in the end he became a mayor of London three times, as the bell had predicted.

I think that London in U.K. is like Tokyo in Japan because many people go to the big city (London, Tokyo) to make their dream come true. I believe that's why this tale has remained up to now. There is a Japanese word "Jo-kyo" which means going up to Tokyo (to make a success). I wonder there is a such kind of word in English.

Well, it seems that we can see the bronze statue of the cat in London. If I have a chance to go to London, I want to check it!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home