silver lining

every cloud has a silver lining.

Thursday, November 16, 2006

Bildungsroman

This German word "Bildungsroman" had been tip on my tongue for weeks, and the other day I remembered it finally. It seems to be translated as "novel of education" or "novel of formation" in English. In Japanese it is translated as 教養小説, but I think it's wrong. Bildungsroman is a novel which traces the spiritual, moral, psychological, or social development and growth of the main character from (usually) childhood to maturity (from Wikipedia).
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bildungsroman

The reason why I has been thinking of this word is that I start to think about what drama is again these days. I think that the main character in a drama should grow mentally and spiritually, I mean, s/he should be changed between before and after the drama with struggle.

I think the drama is, in short, put the hero (heroine) in the last place s/he wants to be, and s/he tried to overcome the difficulties, and audience watch his (her) growth.

So I think drama is a kind of buildungsroman.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home