silver lining

every cloud has a silver lining.

Sunday, November 12, 2006

The Rocking-House Winner

Last Friday in the advanced reading class, I read "The Rocking-Horse Winner" by D.H. Lawrence. I just know the name of this auther with his work "Lady Chatterley's Lover" and its obscenity trial in Britain and Japan. The teacher said that this work was not so obscene and its trial represented the changes of the times.

This is a short story and its extract was really easy for me. I just felt like reading short stories more. There was a middle class English family who were really concerned about their small income, but kept their style. This really stands for typical British characteristic of bluffing. I remember a middle-aged man who pretends to work as a manager but has no job in reality in the movie "Full Monty".

I didn't know from the extract, but this family seems to succeed in winning a horse race, they lose their money in the end, though. The teacher always choose some tragic and desperate stories. I used to read this genre without notice.

☆Classic Short Stories
http://www.classicshorts.com/

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home