silver lining

every cloud has a silver lining.

Friday, November 03, 2006

Les Miserables

It was only me who attended the Advanced Reading class the other day. That means one-to-one class! I never imagined it when I came to school only weekends. I think the atmosphere between weekday classes and weekend ones are much different. Sometimes I feel tense and serious atmosphere on weekdays.

That doesn't mean I hate one-on-one. I like reading literatures and really enjoyed this class. We read two extracts and one was "Les Miserables" by Victor Hugo. I guess the teacher chose this story because I told him that I majored in French literature. Firstly I was asked to explain this story, but I could only say like " this is the story of a man named Jean Valjean who stole a piece of bread and put in a prison due to that action". It might take too much time to remember and explain the whole story.

We read only a small scene in which the Bishop tried to go to the mountain only by himself to see shepherds where was danger with rebels. I guess the Mayor who urges the Bishop not to go there is Jean Valjean, but I'm not sure. I have to read the whole story to know where this scene is written. I wish I could read Les Miserables in French someday with the help of one in English. Or rather I'd like to read his poetry because poems couldn't be understood by translation in the end.
http://www.isis.ne.jp/mnn/senya/senya0962.html

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home