silver lining

every cloud has a silver lining.

Friday, October 27, 2006

Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde

In the Advanced Reading class, we read "The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde" by Robert Louis Stevenson. He is also known as the auther of "Treasure Island".

I guess I've never read this story. It's so famous so I forgot whether I did read it or not. I just know a similar story in Germany; "Peter Schlemihls wundersame Geschichte" by Chamisso, and some stories by E.T.A. Hoffmann. Once I read through the complete works of Hoffman, and I felt the same taste (double identity, etc) a bit in this story.

According to what the teacher said, he wrote stories very easily. There were some ideas in his head, and all he had to do was just writing it down. It's like Mozart I thought.

You can read "Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde" in Japanese here.
http://hw001.gate01.com/katokt/Hyde.htm

Seigo Matsuoka says that Atsushi Nakajima's novel, "Light, Wind and Dreams" is based on the life of Stevenson. I'd like to read it, too.
http://www.isis.ne.jp/mnn/senya/senya0155.html

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home