silver lining

every cloud has a silver lining.

Saturday, October 29, 2005

Witty remarks 1

I register one of e-zines (news letters) for mobile phone by magumagu.
My favorite one is "English witty remarks", and now I want to write down some remarks here because I want to delete them from the data folder.

*When angry blinds the mind, truth disappears. (a German proverb)

*All things are possible until they are proved impossible- and even the impossible may only be so, as of now. (Pearl Buck)

*A life spent in making mistakes is not only more honorable but more useful than a life spent doing nothing. (George Bernard Shaw)

*Success is the ability to go from failure without losing your enthusiasum. (Sir Winston Churchill)

*The most incomprehensible thing about the world is that it is comprehensible. (Albert Einstein)

*Make the most of yourself for that is all there is to you. (Ralph Waldo Emerson)

*If you obey all the rules, you miss all the fun. (Katharine Hepburn)

*A man who has to be convinced before he acts is not a man of action. You must act as breathe. (Georges Clemenceau)

*There is only one thing about which I am certain, and that is that there is very little about which one can be certain. (William Somerset Maugham)

*You will never find time for anything. If you want time, you must make it. (Charles Buxton)

*Reading is to the mind what exercise is to the body. (Joseph Addison)

*Peace cannot be kept by force. It can only be achieved by understanding. (Albert Einstein)

2 Comments:

  • At 4:53 AM, October 31, 2005, Blogger Tortilla Gurl said…

    These are great...my favorite is Katharine Hepburn's...my entire family lives by that manta.

     
  • At 7:10 AM, December 21, 2005, Blogger nabocha said…

    I remembered that bertolt Brecht's saying "Rules keep it alive only by being broken".

    And also I remembered Syuji Terayama's saying "Miserable is the age when there's no maxims. More miserable is the age when maxims are needed.

    I thought this is a palody of Brecht's saying. He changed the word "heros" into "maxims".

    I'm not sure this translating is understandable...

     

Post a Comment

<< Home