silver lining

every cloud has a silver lining.

Sunday, January 22, 2006

Sonezaki Shinju

Yesterday I wanted to go Shinjuku, but I couldn't. I was wondering what would I do if the heavy snow stopped Gotemba line on my way back home. So I gave up.

And here is another hanging around.

In the Japanese drama script, an imcompetent load and a mysterious dancing woman appear with playing on loving words, like "In such a night as this, Ohatsu and Tokubei both commited suicide swearing their love". Well, who are Ohatsu and Tokubei?

They are characters in a famous Bunraku puppet play, "Sonezaki Shinju", the Love Suicides at Sonezaki by Chikamatsu Monzaemon. He wrote this story by getting an idea from a double suicide really occured in the precincts of the Tenjin Shrine at Sonezaki in 1703.

In Sonezaki Shinju, he introduces Tokubei, who works as a clerk for his uncle and has been carrying on an affair with Ohatsu, a courtesan in the Sonezaki pleasure quarter. His uncle, however, wants him to marry with his wife's niece. Realizing the impossibility of their situation, Ohatsu urges Tokubei to kill themselves in the hope of being united in death.

I read Michiyuki for the first time. I was stunned. Why haven't I known this Japanese masterpiece until now? I felt ashamed of myself.

It must be in that book, Koenidashite Yomitai Nihongo. Then I found it, Tokubei Ohatsu Michiyuki. Keiko Hirano reads it in this CD book.

Links
*The whole script of Sonezaki Shinju
*Rock Sonezaki Shinju
*Bunraku (Japan Fact Sheet)
*Bunraku (Japan Access)
*SceneⅡtranslated by Donald Keene

I procrastinated again.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home