silver lining

every cloud has a silver lining.

Wednesday, March 01, 2006

Symposium

One day, while watching TV, my mother asked me suddenly, "what's the meaning of symposium?" I answered "a kind of meeting in English. Originally, it is called symposion in Greek. It means that people talk drinking alcohol." My answer was right?

symposium:
a formal meeting in which people who know a lot about a particular subject have discussions abou it (LONGMAN)
a meeting at which experts have discussions about a particular subject; a small conference (OXFORD)

I'd rather check Wikipedia.
Originally, the term symposium referred to a drinking party; the Greek verb sympotein means "to drink together". The term has since come to refer to any academic conference, irrespective of drinking.

Yes, I answered right!

I know the word "sumposion" because there was a magazine titled "sumposion" students issued when I was a high school student. The high school I went was a bit different. There were only one class by each grade, and each class was called α (alpha), β (beta) and γ (gamma), insted of 1, 2, 3 or A, B, C. Maybe it was just the chairman's taste.

Then, my mother replied, "So, we do symposium everyday, right?" Hmm, you can say that.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home