silver lining

every cloud has a silver lining.

Monday, April 10, 2006

Hiwatari

"Tsutomu strikes a match. A small flame glows in the darkness. Sayo holds the flame, and her body now starts to burn as if she were a match, raising her right arm."
(A stage direction from the present script of the drama Nocturne)

I have to catch the fire.

I really want to catch the fire on the presentation days. But of course I'm afraid of a burn in my palm. Then I remembered "Hiwatari". Hiwatari is one of the mountain priests' arts. They walk over the fire in bare feet reciting a spell. In Japan, there are some Hiwatari rituals or festivals throughout the year.

How do they walk over burning coals? A site tells me the reasons. First, coals won't hold and conduct the heat so much. Second, human feet have much heat capacity with water and not take easily to the heat. Hmm... only that?

The other day I tried to hold the flame while run-through and I could do it easily! The fire went out without notice. My spirit put out the fire? Anyway, my fears turned out to be groundless.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home