silver lining

every cloud has a silver lining.

Tuesday, October 10, 2006

Reflecting on 6 months

Actually I don't want to look back the project work this term, but I guess I can't move on without reflecting on it.

I tried the dramatic debate class because I want to try a new thing always, and I've noticed that I was lacking in debate skill. My team decided the topic as Otaku culture. After the theme was decided, we knew how dramatic debate should be made, so it was tough for us to find a serious problem in the matter and make policies. But I found the site PPP (Popculture Project Policy) and some papers which could be the foundation of the affirmative side, and they were really helpful for me to think of Otaku culture as a policy debate matter.

I've been always wondering how I could make use of my drama class experiences because the process of the project work was much different. In addition I didn't know even the basic of debate itself, so I repeated trial and error again and again. I could be a leader finally just before the presentation, so I couldn't make the good atmosphere to cooperate each other from the beginning. Now I thought the half process of just bringing data in the class was only useless, because data which doesn't support the points must not be used. And the meeting should be the place where the problems are solved, not just reports are delivered. We should have the schedule or the agenda for the meeting from the beginning, but I could do that just after I became a leader.

Six months ago I set a goal for myself; not compromise on the script. This was because I met halfway on the script in the last drama class. I was so busy to manage the class. But this was just an excuse. Then what's the result? I did my best to make the script, but I had no time to think about Q & A session. This term also I became a leader and much busier because I had to do almost everything; making agenda, making the structure, revising the script, thinking about the mini drama, music, event... a kind of overload for me. I shouldn't do everything but the class situation asked me. I couldn't help do it. My advisor said to me that everyone was leader when I ask him why we didn't decide the leader and each role of the class, but still now I disagree with him. He said there could be some problems if we decide a leader, but in reality every company has a president, every section has managers who decide the important matters. Otherwise the project won't proceed smoothly.

Anyway I have lots of stress because I couldn't get any sense of achivement. We've never use Japanese, but that's it. The final goal of my class got to be make a presentation somehow. I knew we weren't ready for questions from the audience, but I lost my enthusiasm in the end. I couldn't keep the motivation. That was the most unforgivable thing. And I don't think I could improve my debate skill.

I should take a logical presentation next term, but I feel like I miss drama class. The next term must be my final project work for me...

2 Comments:

  • At 12:12 AM, October 12, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Really? I think you have done good job!!

    Actually I also miss drama class. But I have a chance to take it again.

    If you choose a logical presentation class, I do wish you join to our team...

     
  • At 2:57 AM, October 12, 2006, Blogger nabocha said…

    Thanks min!

    I guess the reason why I couldn't get a sense of achievement this time is that I put an importance on teamwork. I'd like to take care of everyone, but I was too busy to make a presentation anyway. I couldn't make a good atmosphere in the class.

    If I take a logical presentation class, maybe I will join your class on Sunday.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home