silver lining

every cloud has a silver lining.

Monday, March 06, 2006

Memento mori

Yesterday afternoon, after taking lunch with my classmates, somehow we started to talk about one's love, marriage, childbirth... a woman's life in the end. A Korean friend of mine said that she often thought of her death these days and what she should do now considering that. She recommended me to read a novel of Herman Hesse (She forgot its title. I remembered "Beneath the Wheel" "Demian " or ""Steppenwolf" by his name on that time) and "The Death of Ivan Ilych" by Leo Tolstoy.

I haven't been thinking about my death recently. It means trying to look my life backwards from the viewpoint of my death, right? I always look forward these days. I remember a phrase "Memento mori". This is a Latin phrase that is translated as "Remember that you are mortal," "Remember you will die," or "Remember your death". I learned this phrase when I read one of Shinya Fujiwara's books.

Memento mori.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home