silver lining

every cloud has a silver lining.

Tuesday, April 11, 2006

Leadership and Drama

Throughout the process of the project work (making a drama), I had a lot of chance to think about leader and leadership. I remember I wrote here that I wanted to be a facilitator. I was lucky that I could carry out in practice what I had learned before. And now I think that making a drama is a really good way to be a leader or facilitator in society.

Agenda plannnig was comparatively good. Getting consensus or decision making... I suppose it was easier for me because there were not so many experienced members. It was difficult to keep the balance between "push" and "pull". I should be relaxed to pull the members' original idea or talent, but at the same time I should drive them to make a decision and proceed the class. I wish I could take this balance more freely. And I must not forget this: a sense of humor. I should be a sort of an entertainer to break the ice. Last but not least, the absolute trust. Trust the members, trust the class, trust the process! I think this is the most important thing to be a good leader.

But I had to put up with solitude to be able to trust those things really in the end. Oriza Hirata, a dramatist, says an interesting thing. "Anyone has dark side at a subconscious level. Usually everyone leads a life without looking at that side. It is the role or drama to stir up that dark side and stir the soul. It is the artist who could put up with solitude to face the dark side of the mind." I find a link between leadership and drama here. In order to be a really good leader, you should have an unwavering view of life to blow away small worries or concerns.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home