silver lining

every cloud has a silver lining.

Monday, May 15, 2006

Essay for My Goal 2










Statement of intent

I am applying to the Rotary Ambassadorial Scholarship to further my goals of working to promote the importance of liberal arts and to contribute to further world understanding and peace. To realize my goals, I would like to study Classics, and obtain Bachelor’s Degree in Classics in the future.

This career and academic objective is strongly supported by my interest in Greek and also has been heightened by recent developments in my country, Japan. Something very serious is happening here. My university (Tokyo Metropolitan University) will change to a new university from this April on the Governor of Tokyo’s authority. He does not recognize the value of literature, and the faculty of literature where I studied is destined to disappear. In Japan, university reform has been so widespread in recent years, and I think many other liberal arts courses in universities will be in the same boat.

As I mentioned before, I first came across a Greek word, “mousike”, when I was a member of a chorus group which sang the chorus of Beethoven’s Ninth Symphony. I came across this word again when I participated in a Greek class at the university, where university reform is proceeding. In the class, I learned that “mousike” is the foundation of the Humanities. Through reading Greek first hand, I was convinced that studying Classics will be the key to success in the future of human beings. One may ask: How can we know where we are going, as a people and a planet, if we do not know where we have been?

And I also came to know that it is important to read original texts first hand because there is no way that any book on original texts can tell more than that. I think this attitude, to see with one’s own eyes and follow modestly the being or spirit that is superior to us, can lead to the Rotary ideal of “Service Above Self”.

I feel it is my duty to study what “mousike” tells us, to help people understand humanities, especially in Japan where people tend to forget the meaning of liberal arts which build up human nature. And I intend to pursue my duty by continuing to study and pursuing my future career. Fortunately, a teacher at a private English school encouraged me to apply to this program, and I have thus decided to further my academic goals by enrolling in the Rotary Foundation Ambassadorial Scholarship program. If I hadn’t known about this program, I wouldn’t have made up my mind to start studying at a university again. Financial aid will make it possible for me to go to the university once more this time, and the Rotary Scholarship will be vitally important for continuing my studies.

University of Durham is the perfect place for me to gain the knowledge and skills I will need. Its excellent academic reputation, world-renowned faculty and outstanding academic facilities will allow me to learn Classics better than any other institution. Because University of Durham welcomes wide mix of students, I could have a great educational and social experience as an international student. In addition, it is known for accepting mature students with non-traditional qualifications, so I think the University of Durham is the best possible university for me. The Rotary Foundation Ambassadorial Scholarship program will also enable me to live not only in an academic ivory tower, but to exchange ideas and opinions with students from various ethnic and cultural backgrounds, as well as let me build a network at human relations.

It is inevitable for me to connect Classics with current affairs, which will, I’m sure, be valuable in the future. I want to be a classicist who is as much in touch with the modern as with the ancient world. And, in the process, help create a better world in which many people and nations will live in greater peace and harmony.

In closing, I assure you that my motivation and determination will allow me to successfully complete my course of studies, and I am confident that my education and experience will enable me to make a unique and positive contribution to the Rotary Scholarship program.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home