silver lining

every cloud has a silver lining.

Saturday, May 13, 2006

Parliamentary Debate

As I was looking for some interesting topics for my dramatic debate class at ESUJ site, I got interested in Parliamentary Debate. Now I realized that the University Debating Competition I saw last year was one of Parliamentary Debate! No wonder there were guests from U.K. and the debating style was really new to me.

It seems that Parliamentary Debate is much different from Academic Debate. I don't know even Academic Debate, though. And I could expect that Dramatic Debate I'm going to do through the project work is also different from both of them. The syllabus says that through the project work we are supposed to do a persuasive speech in the end with the art of T.I.E. (Theatre in education) which is used in D.I.E. (Drama in education).

Anyway, they are all debate! I think it is important to listen the other side's debating, make objections on the spot, and above all, attract the audience to make them understand my opinion. It means I need an improvising skill and a sense of humor! And I have to get interested in wide range of things (current affairs, philosophy, ethics and so on) in order to make a speech in style with any topic.

Links (Japanese):
Japan Parliamentary Debate Union
Nouchi Parliamentary Debate Site
Parliamentary Debate (from Falcons Library)
What is Parliamentary Debate? (from ICU Debating Society)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home