silver lining

every cloud has a silver lining.

Saturday, April 29, 2006

Kunio Tsuji

I also had this article corrected by a native teacher. I felt ashamed of my bad English again...
.......................................................................................................

Now there is an Kunio Tsuji exhibition at Yamanashi Kenritsu Bungakukan (April 29 - June 25). Kunio Tsuji is a novelist, and his family runs a hospital in Yamanashi. This exhibit seems to focus especially on "Saigyo kaden (The Glorious Life of Saigyo)", which starts the depiction of the scenery in Yamanashi.

The first novel by Kunio Tsuji that I read was "Julian the Apostate". I was shocked. I hadn't read that kind of artistic novel before then. Since then, I started to read his essays and novels sometimes. He studied in Paris, and I could learn about western things through his works. When I took "Saigyo kaden" from the shelf of my city library, I felt I couldn't read it all of it, because I was so immersed in western culture and literature at that time, and I had a mental block about Japanese things. Later, I bought the CD of the radio drama "Saigyo kaden", but even now I haven't listened to all of the story. I'm wondering if I could read and listen to it right now.

I want to look for an English translation of Saigyo's most famous poem from Sankashu. Let me see...
(Skip the poem)

Actually now I'm thinking about majoring in French literature when I study again through a correspondence course of a university. Perhaps I'll get a chance to read the complete works of Kunio Tsuji.
.......................................................................................................

Now there is an Kunio Tsuji exhibition at Yamanashi Kenritsu Bungakukan (April 29 - June 25). Kunio Tsuji is a novelist and his ancestry run a hospital in Yamanashi. This exhibit seems to focus especially on "Saigyo kaden (The Glorious Life of Saigyo)" which starts the depiction of the scenary in Yamanashi.

The novel by Kunio Tsuji which I first read was "Julian the Apostate". I was shocked. I hadn't read this kind of artistic novel until that time. Since then I started to read his essays and novels at times. He studied in Paris and I could get western things from his works. When I reached my hand to "Saigyo kaden" at the city library, I felt I couldn't read it through, because I was so infected with western culture and literature, and I had a mental block about Japanese things at that time. Later I bought the CD of the radio drama "Saigyo kaden", but even untill now I hadn't listened all of the story. I'm wondering I could read and listen it the moment now.

I get to feel like looking for English translation of Saigyo's most famous poem from Sankashu. Let me see...

Japanese:
ねがはくは
花の下にて
春死なむ
そのきさらぎの
もち月のころ

English:
Let me die in spring
under the blossoming trees,
let it be around
that full moon
of Kisaragi month
(From Classical Japanese Database)

Actually now I'm thinking that I'll major in French literature when I will study again through a correspondence course of a university. Perhaps I'll get a chance to read the complete works of Kunio Tsuji.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home