silver lining

every cloud has a silver lining.

Tuesday, January 31, 2006

The Arabian Nights

Last Sunday, after school, I went to Akasaka to see the exibition of The Arabian Nights at The Japan Foundation Forum.

I remember to read The Book of One Thousand and One Nights by the anthology titled "The Library of Babel" edited by Jorge Luis Borges. Once I absorbed in reading this anthology. Not only its contents, but also its bood design is so beautiful. I'd like to reat it through again sometime.

I also remember to listen "Scheherazade" by Rimsky-Korsakov at Santory Hall. This was once and only time I went a concert hall to listen classical music.

Back to the exhibition. There introduces Antoine Galland who translated the book of One Thousand and One Nights first, lots of valuable source books, the present Arabian world through scenery pictures, colorful clothes, belly dance video, musical instruments, and Arabian world through media; movie posters, picture books etc.

What impressed me most was the exhibition of Arabian caligraphy. It's an art itself as Japanese calligraphy. It seems to give the importance on composition. If there's only this kind of calligraphy exhibit, I think it's worthwhile to see it.

I'm wondering if I could study Arabic again. Maybe not. I have lots of language ditionaries, and an Arabic dictionary seems the most needless one.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home