silver lining

every cloud has a silver lining.

Wednesday, February 15, 2006

Nocturne

Our drama title is Nocturne, so I want to know what nocturne is at least.

a piece of music, especially a soft beautiful piece of piano music (LONGMAN)
a short piece of music in a romantic style, especially for the piano (OXFORD)

Descriptions in dictionaries are not so good enough.

A nocturne is usually a musical composition that is inspired by, or reminiscent of, the night. I like Japanese translation 夜想曲 because it indicates its meaning in Kanji. The most famous player of nocturnes was Chopin, who wrote 21 of them. Later composers to write nocturnes for the piano include Fauré and Satie. Nocturnes are generally thought of as being tranquil, often expressive and lyrical, and sometimes rather gloomy.

You can hear lots of nocturnes here on the net. Our drama class used No.1 Op. 9-1 (Chopin) at 1 minute presentation. In the video, they seem to arrange No. 15 Op. 55-1.

And why the drama title is nocturne? I think it is because this drama is for an arsonist who experiences mysterious things at one night.

2 Comments:

  • At 3:46 AM, February 18, 2006, Blogger Popbabe7 said…

    Hi Nabocha

    I hope you are well. I really enjoy looking at your blog, because it has so many interesting things in it!

    As you said in your last entry, Nocturne is a piece of music inspired by night. The word nocturne is a french word related to everything done at night. You will say for example "sorties nocturnes" to talk about times when you go out at night. The word used for people who prefer to live at night is "noctambule".

    It is quite a nice word to use for a play. For me the word nocturne is often associated with summer nights, when you can stay out even at night because it is not cold and will talk for hours in the dark in confidence.

    Hope to hear from you soon.

    Take care

    Dorine

     
  • At 5:04 AM, February 21, 2006, Blogger nabocha said…

    Hi Dorine, I'm so glad to hear from you again.

    You seem to know French pretty well! Have you studied French? I studied it once, but I almost forgot it. Actually I want to study French again if I could go back to a university.

    Noctambule sounds like Istanbul for me. No meaning though.

    Now I listen Chopin's nocturnes almost everyday to find suitable one for the drama and get almost crazy...

    See you soon.

    nabo

     

Post a Comment

<< Home