silver lining

every cloud has a silver lining.

Wednesday, February 08, 2006

Lionel Richie

There are lines for a prince and a princess in the original script. Here they meet each other for the first time and he refuses to get married to her.

Princess: Hello, I am Chiyo.
Prince: ...Hi! Well, who was the first president of the U.S.A?
Princess: Well... Lionel Richie?
Prince: Thank you. That's all.

I thought this scene was funny because he turned down the marrige only because she didn't know George Washington. Someone said her reply was also funny. But I didn't laugh at all because I didn't know Lionel Richie!

Lionel Richie is an American singer who started his career in The Commodores, and it got be a nationally popular Motown band during 70's. Hmm, I haven't heard the name of the band. Oh, he collaborated with Michael Jackson on the charity single "We Are The World" by USA For Africa in 1985? I know this song. Maybe that's it.

... and why does the princess say Lionel Richie as the first president of the United States? I guess his name was popular around when the drama was performed first in 1986.

2 Comments:

  • At 12:26 AM, February 15, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    INTERESTING!
    I didn't know Lionel Richie, too.
    And I can't believe our drama is performed first 1986!
    It isn't look likes so old...

     
  • At 8:25 PM, February 15, 2006, Blogger nabocha said…

    As you know it or not, Halley's commet came near the earth last in 1986. So the first play was really memorable one, I think.

    Now there're different lines in this part with script Ver.3. That's more easy to make the audience laugh. Please check it!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home