silver lining

every cloud has a silver lining.

Monday, February 06, 2006

Yume-ochi

The other weekend, when I discussed the script with my classmates, one of them said, "This story is not "Yume-ochi, right?" This was my first time to hear the word "Yume-ochi", so I didn't understand what she said at that time.

"Yume" means dream, and "ochi" means ending of the story, like punch line. Yume-ochi is a kind of "ochi", the way to end the story showing that all events in the story were a dream after all. For example, "Alice's Adventures in Wonderland" by Lewis Carroll and "Zhuang Zhou dreamed he was a butterfly" by Zhuangzi are famous Yume-ochi stories.

I didn't want to make the story end with surprising reversal, and Yume-ochi is a kind of it. I think that we could say the drama we are going to perform is Yume-ochi, but I can accept the ending way of the drama now. I suppose it's because the story is well organized and attractive indeed. Even if the story is a dream of the leading role, it must give him the way to open his eyes to reality.

6 Comments:

  • At 2:00 AM, February 06, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    This is Nocturne's topic,isn't this?

    First time I read the script, I felt like this...may be it was Yume-ochi story.
    Getting to try to understand my role(Tsutomu), I become not to think so.
    Even if this story isn't happy end, he must get something!
    That's why I like this line...'I must go now.'

     
  • At 7:00 AM, February 07, 2006, Blogger nabocha said…

    Hi Min, of course this is about Nocturne.

    Well, your favorite line is "I have to say goodbye", isn't it? If you say "I must go now", I think it's like daily conversation. Remember Philip says "I've got to run, Dad" in Family Album? Something like that.

    Maybe my opinion that Tsutomu shouldn't say anything won't change. I want the audience feel something without lines. I want to keep discussing this again with you.

     
  • At 10:27 PM, February 07, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Thank you,Nabo. Maybe I haven't finished this dialogue in Family Album yet.

    And thank you for your opinion.If I can make audience feel something, I think I don't need the line.So shall we run through at first, right?

     
  • At 7:30 AM, February 08, 2006, Blogger nabocha said…

    You can say that again!

     
  • At 11:29 PM, February 09, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said…

     Well, can I pass you 'Surunara-baton?'

    Please check my HP m(__)m

     
  • At 7:30 AM, February 10, 2006, Blogger nabocha said…

    I get it! I'll write about Surunara-baton in Enlish next week!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home