silver lining

every cloud has a silver lining.

Sunday, November 13, 2005

Four-University English Theatricals

On Sunday afternoon, after taking the placement test at the English school, I went to Shiki to watch dramas produced by university students. This event is held by Four-University (Hitotsubashi & Tsuda, Keio, St. Paul's and Waseda) E.S.S. Association.

I watched "I Hate Hamlet" by Waseda Production and "Broken Glass" by Hitotsuda Production.

I was so impressed with "Broken Glass". I felt something pain in my heart. I felt something called like silent passion of the writer. Then I moved to tears. The theme was so deep and it made me think of identity.

This drama was written by Arther Miller. The title "Broken Glass" seems coming from "Kristallnacht" (The night of the broken glass) in Berlin in 1938. In short, this is the story of Judaism, persecution, and husband and wife.

Sylvia Gellburg got a mysterious paralysis and stopped walking, and her husband, Philip, tried to find the reason. She was obsessed with the news coming out of Germany about Nazi violence toward Jews...

I found an essay and assignment of "Broken Glass" on the web. I want to know more this drama sometime.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home