silver lining

every cloud has a silver lining.

Monday, March 13, 2006

Get out of the Script

The English Festival is held in coming April, 15th (Sat) and 16th (Sun). It means we have only just one month until the presentation!

Now our drama team does run-through in the class and everyone try to memorize their own lines. The other day, I read through the script and recorded it, and now listen it again and again. I find that it's a good exercise. Unless I pronounce lines clearly while recording, I couldn't understand that meaning later. Above all, I can imagine the situation while listening, and find unclear expressions. I can't do it with the script.

I want to get out of the script. I know our drama Nocturne is so well-structured story that actors tend to reproduce Nocturne as it is on the script. But it limits our imaginations and possibilities on the stage. My former drama class advisor called those things "magic". Yes, we need the right magic!

In order to get out of the script, we must get our own characters deeply, and really understand each situation and main message. It must be difficult.

And in order to get the right magic, there should be a good atmosphere among members in which everyone can say any idea or opinion.

2 Comments:

  • At 11:42 PM, March 15, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I really respect your attitude to this drama!!!

    And I also want to get out of the Script.
    Kensuke Yokouchi told us that we need 2 steps.
    1st step is to memorize our line.
    And 2nd step is to imagine the situation and emotion.
    Eacn steps give us getting out of it!

    I try to express my character's emotion by all of my body...like Fumie Suguri.

     
  • At 7:01 AM, March 16, 2006, Blogger nabocha said…

    Hi Min, I'm glad to hear from you!

    Well, it must be difficult for you to express your role's emotion because he is a kind of person who can't express his emotion well.

    You should have checked the drama "Densha otoko". Your role is not "otaku", but a NEET-like person.

    And in the end, he must change his character throughout the drama.

    Am I asking you too much? But I believe you can do it!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home