silver lining

every cloud has a silver lining.

Saturday, December 31, 2005

Recitation contest















And the most tough one was waiting for me. That was the recitation contest. I had to memorize the extract from J.F. Kennedy's inaugural address, and recitate in front of students.

I couldn't get rid of the stage fright. On the stage, my mind suddenly went blank and now I can't remember how it was. There was no room for me to share the time or atmosphere at that time with the audience.

After my turn, I got relaxed and really enjoyed presentations finally. I enjoyed too much to almost miss the last train! Someone performed with action or sense of humor. The first prize winner was great. He really deserved it. He knew the effect of changing tone and the trick of pause. That gave the audience the time to think or feel. It was a kind of art.

I want to try it again. First I must get over the self-consciousness and concentrate on what I'm going to say. Someone says there are 4 elements of public speaking; inform, convince, appeal to action, and entertain.

I want to entertain others, and myself.

2 Comments:

  • At 12:23 AM, January 02, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Inform, convince, appeal to action, and entertain...It's interesting for me, because my job is public servant. Sometimes I need to speak officially. And I'm not so good speaker...

    Thank you for your good information!! So I can and I will try!

     
  • At 5:04 AM, January 02, 2006, Blogger nabocha said…

    Actually, this is what Mr. Toru Matsumoto (the founder of Phoenix) says in his book.
    He also says something like this.

    "The key of public speaking is the speaker him/herself.
    Unless the person is an interesting person, it's not interesting what s/he says.
    An interesting person means the person who has an attractive personality.
    In order to be an attractive person, don't follow others, don't memorize and speak out what others say.
    Keep in mind that an interesting speech is coming from your life, your everyday thinking."

     

Post a Comment

<< Home